Pages that are UNDER DEVELOPMENT may be incomplete, but all information they contain should be accurate.
|Title||The Max Headroom Show|
|US Air Date||24 Oct 1986|
|UK Air Date||17 Feb 1987|
|Crew||Talk Show Crew|
|Matt Frewer||Max Headroom|
The MaxRchives contain complete recordings of both the US and UK broadcasts of this episode.
Videos & Segments
- Max asks the viewer if they really want to sit down for the next thirty minutes, then lists a few of the things they'll miss if they switch off.
- "Switch off? Okay..."
- The screen goes to a white dot, then black.
- We return to a stereotypical sitcom kitchen set (slide) as Max enters to applause and laughs, doing a generic "Hi honey I'm home" schtick. He realizes he's in the wrong show... "Whaddya think this is, cheap comedy?"... and then does a slapstick bounce off one side of the frame.
- Video: Lulu, "Shout" (ca. 1964 - in color, with "The Luvvers")
- Max sings nonsensical snippets.
- Black and white clip of a chef making a rooster crow on command.
- Now Max is at... I said, NOW MAX IS AT THE DISCO!
- Max gets them to turn off the noise and lights, and describes the disco scene.
- More chef and rooster.
- Max has advice for his younger viewers about wearing very tight jeans... not a good idea.
- Video: Love and Rockets, "Yin and Yang (The Flowerpot Man)"
- This week, we're in... Greece! Land of bouzoukis, Zorba, souvlaki and moussaka. And feta. And kebabs.
- Comedy clip from Neil Mullarkey, as he tries to scare an audience member with rubber bats, spiders and other terrifying items in his "Ghost Train" skit.
- And we're back in Greece. Land of weightlifters (like Nautilis), gods and tragic history.
- Opening credits roll...
- UK version only: Max interrupts, we see the "neon bar" placeholder card and a few moments of black screen for the Channel Four commercial break.
- UK only: we come back for a somewhat extended take on the opening credits.
- ...until it's suddenly time again for "Quiz!" with no fewer than three rounds of the theme song.
- and this time Max is ringing the changes and it's completely different because there will be no question, no prizes, no contestants, because we're not gonna play - we're not gonna play - we're not gonna play... Quiz!
- Opening credits conclude.
- In a remote interview (from a TV on Howie's couch), Max and his guest Howie Mandel talk about:
- Max talks about rock stars, comedians, actors and venereal diseases... he's had them all. But today he has one of the wildest young comedians around... Jack Benny!
- No, really, it's Howie "For God's sake don't sit in the front row when I'm onstage" Mandel.
- Howie's live act
- His grandmother's hypnotic incident
- Being a golferless caddy
- Stamp collecting
- Voicing the good gremlin
- Other guests Max has had on his show
- Paul Hardcastle: "The Wizard"
Notes & Commentary
Hello? Hello? Is th-th-this thing on?
Quotes & Caps
(Max's speech in this season finally stops using the extreme stuttering and repetition, probably as much for technical, audience and production reasons as because it was getting tiresome. I am still trimming such repetitions to minimum indicators here in the transcriptions.)
- Max: "