Max: The Lost Episodes
Like all series that are cancelled abruptly, Max Headroom had a number of episodes somewhere in development or production at the time the ax fell.
The series was renewed for a second season of 13 episodes, and sources have told me that there were full treatments, if not developing or developed scripts, for all the planned episodes. That means that at least five unproduced scripts exist, as well as others that were discarded at some point in the development process.
Here are the details that are known. With luck, more material will become available some day.
- Written by Michael Cassutt.
- In production at the time of cancellation. It seems likely that there is footage from this episode, but as all film footage for the series is "lost," finding it is unlikely.
- "Theora's Tale"
- Story by Eric Blakeney. Teleplay by Steve Roberts.
- In preproduction at the time of cancellation. The script became publicly available, and a synopsis was widely posted on Usenet in the mid-1990s (I hope to add that here soon.)
- "The Trial"
- Written by David G.B. Brown.
- "Xmas" (or "X-Mas," or possibly "X-Max" - accounts vary. Probably the first.)
- Written by George R.R. Martin.
- "Bring Me the Head of Network 23" [aka "Nanosurgery"]
- Story by Chris Langham & Steve Roberts. Teleplay by Chris Langham.
Contrary to the widely-believed rumor (found even on IMDb), William Gibson never wrote nor planned to write an episode. This comes from a show authority who is well-acquainted with Gibson.