And N-Now the News
- December 2015
- Collapsed main InfoBanks table to reduce the number of entry links and pages, mostly in the Admin section.
- Added "Performers" section to Guests page.
- Major change to site skin (using MonoBook instead of Vector as the much-modified base).
- Updated YouTube links for both versions of Sting interview (Episode CH4.1.13 and Episode CH4.2.1 )
- November 2015
- BIG(gish) news in the Max appearance front!
- A summary page has been created for the "lost" shows of the first season. The anchor of the page is a rare compilation of clips from this season, recently found on YouTube.
- Several of the third season show entries have been completed.
- Australia checks in with a pointer to one more of the Channel 4 digital conversion ads and to a Max-inspired political parody. Thanks, Andrew!
- 5 August 2015 - Received a copy of the rare German translation of the telefilm book and added an entry for it. Some associated rewrites on the same page.
Some Notes About the New Site Design
This is an early meta-discussion about what's happening here, where various parts of the site development are going, and what's planned for currently unfinished areas.
1. Site Content
The content of the old site has largely been transferred to this one. The current goal is to get as much new and basic information into this framework, including material that's years overdue for presentation.
I am particularly proud of the overall "Shows" structure, which lists for the first time all Max Headroom shows, in their correct order, with verified air dates and increasingly complete information about show content. In all this, especially in re-establishing (possibly for the first time in the internet era) that there were three seasons of show produced by Channel Four, I am indebted to Simon Kelly.
The show listings themselves are increasingly complete - I have most of Season 3 still to fill out, all of Season 4 (Cinemax) and a few of the ABC series episodes. Getting there. It's slow, painstaking work and I do it amid other stuff.
2. Site Organization
The current site organization and navigation is increasingly finished, but is still subject to revision as the infobanks get closer to completion. I want to make it easy to browse and connect from one item to other relevant ones, but without linking every keyword in every paragraph - that gets distracting and counter-productive. I think I'm past major rearrangements now. The goal is an overall site structure that permits a natural, organic connection and cross-reference strategy - every "wiki walk" here should be a pleasant one.
Some of the index/cross-reference pages like Actors and Characters are still an incomplete mess, but others are approaching their final form and are hopefully interesting and useful.
3. Site Design
This site in no way resembles what I envision for the final look. The MediaWiki platform allows some style and design changes at a simple level, but resists the major reskinning that, say, WordPress has come to permit. So I am tinkering a little with the basic big-wiki look as I go, but expect to drop in one day and see a dramatic change - something, I hope, much like the old site but adapted to a modern platform and perhaps a little less aggressively retro. M-Max look... but not Max era.
And I like to think I'm getting there, despite the limitations of the platform. Judicious use of CSS animation has freshened up the look. I think. You?