Pages that are UNDER DEVELOPMENT may be incomplete, but all information they contain should be accurate.
|Title||The Max Headroom Show|
|US Air Date||11 Dec 1985|
|UK Air Date||12 Aug 1986|
|Crew||Talk Show Crew|
|Matt Frewer||Max Headroom|
The MaxRchives contain a complete recording of the Cinemax version of this episode.
Videos & Segments
- Max opens the show with a groovin', get-down hip-hop riff. (Embarrassing, from a late perspective...)
- Video: The Cult, "She Sells Sanctuary"
- Max claims he's a classical music person (as we all know).
- Video: Peter Gabriel, "Shock The Monkey"
- Max talks about his golf lessons and shows a film about golf balls being made, with the help of an offscreen child.
- Video: Izzy Royal, "Coronation Street"
- Max talks about having Severiano Ballesteros as a guest.
- Video: The Kinks, "Come Dancing"
- Pat Benatar - "Love is a Battlefield"
- Ledernacken - "Ich will dich essen"
Notes & Commentary
This show has an offscreen speaker interacting with Max, a very young-sounding child Max calls Tim. Max also implies that Tim has something to do with the production of the show (in choosing guests, etc.) The voice is uncredited.
Quotes & Caps
No unique visuals in this episode.
(Max's speech in these shows uses extreme stuttering and repetition, which I will not attempt to replicate in the transcriptions here. You can assume that any stutter noted goes on many times longer.)
- Max: "Oh, oh, you down, yeah, ah right, it's the Max Cornelius Headroom Show, where the pace is hot and the films(?) are not, so watch this and put some pep in yo' step, some cut in yo' strut, roll in yo' stroll, pride in yo' stride, Slick, and some [unintelligible] in your [ditto], yeah! (looks aside) Why [not?] sit here and look what I'm talking about?"
- Max: "These... (snickers) chuckles videos are all very well, but I'm a - ha, ha - classical music person. As I think you know..."
"Tim" is a young child, offstage and not seen.
- Max: "The golf lessons are going incredibly well - backswing, coming along, approach shots to the green, coming along... putting, still needs some work on it, but, uh, I'd say it's getting there. Nine out of ten.
- Tim: "Well, I think that people aren't going to say that [?], Max." [?]
- Max: "Oh. Now, don't go away, 'cuz I've got something really great to show you. Now, I know these videos are very good, but... you can have too much of a good thing. And your mind can sort of O.D. on them. So really, they can be dangerous. And so, by way of a change, here's something... you must not miss. It's unique. I don't believe it's ever been seen on TV before, because I brought it in myself today. And it's totally different. It's a rare film of how golf-golf-golf balls are made. Gents... look at this.
- (We get a grainy old film of golf ball manufacture.)
- Oh, look at that... that is incredible! That's amazing! Yeah! God, it gets better all the time. Woo! There, you see? Who says I don't know what the public wants, hmm?
- (looking offscreen) How do you know?
- Tim: "It's a pop videos program."
- Max: "That has nothing to do with it. A lot of people who watch pop videos are interested in golf. Do a survey for once in your life, Tim."
- Tim: "I did, Max."
- Max: "Now..."
- Max: "Why does he do it... why does he do it to me? He says to me, 'M-M-M-Max, who you want on your show that's really fascinating and really special?' So I say, 'Easy! Severiano Ballesteros. He can come on and talk about golf.' And Tim says, 'Who is he?' ...Who is he? He's only won the US Masters, the Dunhill Masters, the British Open, the French Open and the Spanish Open... need I go on? ...Oh, it makes me angry. Okay, he says Ballesteros isn't interesting; I'll prove him wrong. I'll tell you about him. Listen to this:
- Severiano Ballesteros is very, very interesting. He is Spanish. He comes from Spain. He wears really stylish sweaters and has very interesting dark hair. And... wait... wait! He plays... wait!... he plays... he play golf! ...Ah, what's the point..."
- Max: "
- Max: "
- Max: "
- Max: "